Detailed description of camp...
BOATING AND FISHING
- The pond is known to be full of large-mouth bass and white and yellow perch, and loons serenade each summer evening. 2-person canoe, 4-person pedal boat, 1 older kayak, 7 life vests provided. No large motorboats are present on the pond, but guests are welcome to bring a kayak, rowboat, or canoe.
PLEASURES AT THE CAMP
- This is a very rural area, not for those who want constant entertainment, but great for reading on the front porch (completely screened in during April 2009, only first two photos reflect this) overlooking the pond or on the large octagonal dock or sitting in front of the wood stove. There is also a propane heater for the colder months (year-round, insulated cottage). Fire pit and picnic table at the water's edge. Most popular activities: listening for the loons, sunset watching, swimming, boating, and hiking, berry picking, chilling in a porch rocking chair, lobster grilling, gathering with friends around the fire pit after sunset, board games. NEW FOR 2013: land line phone in cottage. Cell phone reception is good on the porch, at least for Verizon and Maine Cellular subscribers: iffy reception for ATT, TMobile, Sprint. HDTV Satellite/high speed internet/WiFi installed June 2009; tv reception cannot be guaranteed during cloudy weather.
THINGS TO ENJOY NEARBY
- You can quickly find small town life 10 miles away in Farmington and at the University of Maine, shopping, a movie theatre, summer concerts and summer theatre nearby, a couple of interesting restaurants, three independent bookstores, an ice cream stand and a summer farmer's market. 15 minutes to pick strawberries and blueberries in season and buy freshly caught lobster. Half an hour to Mt. Blue State Park, 45 minutes north to scenic Rangeley with brilliant fall foliage and dramatic mountain views (and you may see moose), skiing locally at Titcomb Mountain and it's equidistant from Saddleback, Sugarloaf, and Sunday River. Sand Pond is about 3 1/2 hours from Boston.
PRIVATE BUT NOT 'OFF THE GRID
- While you cannot see a neighboring camp, noise is amplified over water, so if someone nearby puts 20 people around their fire pit and has a party, you are going to hear it. This does not happen often, it's not a frat party area, mostly owner occupied, but absolute quiet cannot be guaranteed. Also, this is not the last camp on this dead-end road: 7 neighbors farther down the road do use it, so cars, trucks, ATVs, bicycles, people walking or running with their dogs do come right in front of the cottage.
- Guests Provide Their Own Meals
- Limited Accessibility: One step to porch and entry door; bathroom on first floor, large stall shower, but too narrow for wheelchair access. Several concrete steps to dock....more
- Pets Considered: Well behaved dogs will be considered with an additional pet deposit. Proof of current rabies vaccination is required to confirm your rental....more
- Non Smoking Only: If smoke is detected or renter puts cigarette holes in the screens, cleaning/repair fee will be deducted from security...more
- Children Welcome: Bedroom decorated for young children, board games; dirt road between cottage and dock/pond ....more
- Long-Term Renters Welcome
- Alternative Lifestyle
Bedrooms: 3 Bedrooms, Sleeps 6, Beds for 6
- Sleeping Porch
- Bedroom 1: 1 double first floor bedroom
- Bedroom 2: 1 queen 2nd floor bedroom
- Bedroom 3: 2 twin/ single this 2nd floor bedroom is decorated for children
- Two solid birch twin beds in second upstairs bedroom with mattresses of a quality not usually found in rental properties.
Bathrooms: 1 Bathroom
- Bathroom 1
- Door wheelchair accessible but not shower. Clothes washer & Dryer in bathroom.
Kitchen & Dining
- Cooking Utensils: Chosen by an owner who loves to cook! Items you don't expect to find in camp: rice cooker, muffin tins, roasting pan, jar and stick blenders, angel food cake pan, cookie sheet, casserole dishes...more
- Dining: oval table (seats 6) and 4 chairs in kitchen, round oak table on porch and 2 chairs, picnic table in front yard overlooking the pond....more
- Refrigerator: New July 2012; note that a 24', 10 cubic foot is the biggest available for the space....more
- Dishes & Utensils: plentiful: blender, stick blender, crockpot, muffin tin, pie plates, rice cooker...more
- Pantry Items: owner leaves some spices, but no temptations for critters--this is the woods!...more
- Kitchen: Exceptionally well equipped, eat-in kitchen with a table and 4 chairs
- Stove: Propane stove new in 2008 with electronic ignition (no pilot)
- Coffee Maker: uses basket filters
- Dishwasher: New 2008
- Microwave: New 2008
- Dining Area Seats:4
- Child's Highchair
- Linens Provided: Beds will be made up with fresh sheets before you arrive. Plenty of towels and beach towels are provided, as well as kitchen towels, tablecloths, napkins....more
- Living Room seats 4: cozy, with cathedral ceiling, picture window overlooking lake, Hunter ceiling fan, and woodstove...more
- Air Conditioning: new 9000 BTU air conditioner installed in the living room in late July 2013...more
- Wood Stove: For experienced users only; stove-cut wood supplied.
- Heating: primary heat is woodstove; backup is propane.
- Gas Fireplace: Propane heater to back up woodstove.
- Washing Machine: new clothes washer in 2014
- Towels Provided: including beach towels
- Parking: Room for 2-3 cars
- Parking Off Street: Room for 3 cars
- Parking For RV/Boat/Trailer: Next to shed.
- Clothes Dryer: new 2008
- Iron & Board
- Hair Dryer
- 40' seasonal diving dock with octagon, 1 new Old Town kayak 2015, 2-person canoe and pedal boat, 7 life vests. Guests are welcome to bring kayaks, bicycles. New cedar picnic table in 2011. Firepit new June 2009. Hammock added July 2012! If you are going to fish you need a Maine license, available for 1-3-7-15 days or all season, online at www.state.me.us/ifw/licenses_permits/fishing.htm. Buy locally or via credit card online and print immediately.
- Satellite / Cable: DirectTV satellite installed May 2009. Basic channels only (no HBO, SHO) Reception not guaranteed on cloudy nights, sorry!...more
- Books: book case in upstairs double bedroom contains vacation reading
- Video Library: very limited selection of VHS and DVD movies, bring your own
- Games: Monopoly, Scrabble, Scategories, Clue, cards, jigsaw puzzles
- Television: HDTV flat screen new in 2008
- DVD Player: new in 2012
- CD Player
- Telephone: Fairpoint Communications land line installed 2013; cell reception is only fair and only in the road, sometimes in second floor bedrooms...more
- Wireless Internet: Wireless router allows you to use your laptop anywhere in the cottage, on the porch, probably on the dock! HP printer also supplied....more
- Broadband Access: Hussey installed fiber optic high speed internet June 10 2009--strong microwave signal....more
- Free Long Distance: unlimited incoming/outgoing calls anywhere in US
- Deck / Patio: Front porch runs width of cottage, was completely screened in April 2009, has ceiling fan and lights, three rocking chairs, dining table and 4 chairs...more
- Water Sports Gear: Floating dock in water deep enough to dive, added June 2013, in addition to existing 40' dock with octagon....more
- Porch / Veranda:Across front of cottage, screened in, table and four chairs, ceiling fan, reading lights, overlooks pond...more
- Kayak / Canoe: 1 new Old Town kayak 2015, 1 2-person canoe
- Boat: pedal boat seats 4
- Outdoor Grill:Charcoal, Weber
- Beach Chairs: 4
- Away From It All
Location & View
- Lakefront:Cottage is perhaps 30 feet from lake, across the private dirt road, great direct view from porch. 5 cement steps down to the dock. Firepit, picnic table, charcoal grill, hammock....more
- Rural:on a private dirt road in the woods, with no other houses nearby, 10 miles from town....more
- This rental is on a private road and PLOWING IS NOT GUARANTEED.
For more details/photos/guests' comments see
www.homeaway.com listing #272764
www.vrbo.com listing # 207124
Keywords: waterfront, lakefront,cottage, private, pet-friendly, 4-season, family-oriented, year-round